My name is York Chan and I'm not the best talkative person. This has mostly come from a childhood where I really never had any friends. Just sitting outside looking at others play and I was all alone. I have also seen what life can be when you start to slack off or when you lose all hope in your abilities. I have been there, someone who has flunk his first year in Brooklyn college because he just wanted to play around, someone who lacked confidence to do things anymore. The root of this is when I finally started to have friends and experience the world more. And when I finally had it I just wanted more and more. I just wanted to play all the games and watch all the shows in the world and have fun with others. But because of that I also neglected my education. And because of that I started to lose confidence in my abilities because I haven't used them in a long time. And ultimately I became a shut in. After having sitting home for almost 5 years of my life I was finally convinced by my friends to go back to school and pursue a career in something that I would love to do or at least a degree of any kind to get me on my feet again.
After having gone through community college and transferring to Hunter College I have finally founded what I would like to do, that is journalism. I found that I do like writing because hell my essays never go below a B in school. Of course old habits do die hard or rather it will always be there in the end. That is my habit of being lazy and always wanting to just go off somewhere and have fun.
My proudest moment in where I had actually did my best would have to be the time when I wrote a feature story for my journalism class about a commission painter. I felt the high of what being a journalist is and what I can contribute if I ever make the cut to enter this field.
The whole process of journalistic practices and ethics very much intrigues me. But most of all I think it helped me with opening up more in terms of talking more to people because in journalism when you interview someone your talking and you can't be shy about it.
I have seen and felt many kinds of emotions and scenes in life, but thats only a part of many many more. Hopefully with some journalism skills under my belt I will have the chance to experience it all. Because if one thing is certain is that life can never be too boring no matter how much you think it is. This has been York Chan writing from Hunter College Signing off.
No comments:
Post a Comment